Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sweeeeet Life

" Take a holiday in Spain,
  Leave my wings behind me,
 Drive this little girl insane,
  Fly away to somewhere new
  Fly away to somewhere new

SO these last few days have been more then intense! 


I am still taking time to make sense of our time in the townships.  The service work that we did there will create life long imprints from within. The people that we have met the stories that we have listened to and the images that we have witnessed has challenged my inner core!

More then anything I have come to understand the power of listening~! It is a hard skill to master and being an active listener can be a coveted trait.  Most of our lecture time has been spent listening to peoples personal stories and asking those hard to ask and understand questions.  I was amazed the variety of stories that people had and different outlook regarding the meaning of leadership.  Also the fact that everyone who told their stories seemed to hold very little back, even when the stories consisted of many hardships.  Most of the time I just sat there in complete “awww” wondering how some people were so strong.  Among us students tears were shed, gut filled laughs were had, and above all a deep questioning of self took place. It is crazy to re-examine your life in such an extreme way after only being somewhere for 2 weeks. 


On to some less serious stuff! The food and hospitality that we experienced while in the township was priceless.  I seriously dream about the fatty delicious food that was consumed all last week. 

~ Friday was our final full day in the township and we spent some kick ass time doing service work within a school there. 

~  Saturday we went on a winery tour in the beautiful mountains surrounding Cape Town.  Talk about a total and complete difference of life.  It was hard to see such beauty and lush resources, when you know there are other such hardships faced in the same place. 

~ Sunday was perhaps one of the most scary days of my life.  The day started at around 5 in the morning, and a few of us were picked up in a huge van and brought about and hour out of the city.  After a few hours we were on our way to go shark diving with some great white sharks in the ocean. We all were able to have our own half hour in a cage on the surface of the ocean.  There was chum that was surrounding the cage and within 15 minutes we were surrounded by HIUGE great white sharks.  It was not until Me, Kate and TJ had our chance to go in the cage that things started to get wild! After patiently waiting for some sharks to show up we were surprised when some of the sharks were acting somewhat wild!  At one point I was so panicked that I started to scream under water and filled my mouth with mass amounts of salt water, as a result I had to come up for air and all of a sudden I saw the shark’s HUGE mouth caught on our cage with his razor sharp teeth.  LIterally the head of the shark was less then a foot from the ladies face next to me! The whole boat of people were cheering on from outside of the cage while I was screaming and kate was swearing! Hands down one of the most exhilarating experiences I have ever witnessed! 

~ Monday we were able to go back to University of Cape Town and spend time reflecting about out time in the Townships as well as make meaning about our time here.  Again we were pressed to question controversial issues, discuss our feelings with each other and share some of our memorable times over the the past two weeks. At times we wonder if we have a skewed view of South Africa and if our bias have influenced some of what we have done and at times we feel completely lucky to be able to push the boundaries and are proud of our accomplishments.  All very normal feelings when trying to make sense of cross-cultural ideas. 

Later in the afternoon we were able to relax a little bit and go and do some shopping at the Green Market Square.  I actually learned the true art of bargaining, and the fact that being somewhat stubborn you are able to get mostly what you want.  I was able to buy some gifts for friends and family back home as well as a few items for myself. I even debated purchasing a pair of 70 dollar shoes, but realized that was absolutely ridiculous, and not living out my idea of a more simplified lifestyle.  Whatever the case my time here is quickly coming to an end and it is hard to believe. 


Today we have had the day off from jammed packed activities and it has been nice to chill out for a little while. (Don’t worry Aaron, I have been trying to catch up on my leadership reading this afternoon) To my surprise the Counting Crows are playing at an outdoor venue this evening for only 30 American dollars.  So you better believe that a few of us rushed to the local shopping market to get tickets, so this evening we will be enjoying some lovely live music and intermingling with some more locals! 


I have nothing to complain about! LIfe is GREAT and I am constantly amazed by it. NOt sweating the small stuff has proved to be a beneficial quality that I am trying to live out, and it has made life just that much more enjoyable.


Miss you all at home, hope everyone is healthy and happy!


Ciao for now!

Peace  

No comments: