Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What is passion??

children will play in the streets loving everyone they meet,

  open hearts will be the rhythm of day.

  neighbors will greet each other,

  sisters, brothers; even enemies will come to be friends-

  I can’t wait to be there in line.”



I am having an internal dilemma with my current situation.  After being done with school and having studied abroad three different times you would think I would have some clarity in my life, when the reality of the situation is I could not be more confused. I am confused about my next steps, confused why I just spent 100$ on gifts for people that are not even necessary, confused how I will be able to live out my passions and just life in general. 

I am also confused about South Africa.  For the most part we have been given everything on a silver platter, I mean we even have been fortunate enough to have our own personal taxi service, housekeepers as well the most hospital group of people I have even met.  We have been exposed to the not so pretty aspects as well, but even then in the Townships we were treated as royalty. I have felt challenged to think in a way that I never have before, but wish that I would have been challenged to get out into the community more often.  I guess this should have been something that I sought out for myself, but it is hard, when at times you feel pressure to be with a large group. I also am realizing a strong difference between white South Africa and black South Africa, as I spend more times in shopping areas, heading out to bars and my time in the Township as well. THis is a difference is something that is hard to accept even though it is basically slapping you in the face all of the time.  

I wanted so badly to stay so I could do some of those things that you can’t do when you are constantly surrounded by a group of Americans as well are limited by a 3 week period.  Unfortunately I have been in a constant conflict with STA, (so much for being a helpful student travel agency) and seeing that we are booked on a group flight, it is hard to get anything different. I know that I will come back to South Africa, I know that I have some unfinished business here and more exploring that I need to do. Ouma at inter-study made me think that I really could build a life here, I want so badly to try and do that. I want to be able to help get young people to do some of the exact same things that I have done, and really convey the value of travel and culture. This has become a passion of mine.

Today in class we had an emotional filled conversation that ended up focusing on the differences between a personal passion and personal interest.  Some felt that they were completely different qualities while I may have thought that they were intertwined.  Either way, we did agree that a passion was a way of life and putting your all into that action.  Some through the terms around loosely while others felt intense emotion with them.  Aaron (our teacher) did a good job of throwing out different questions and we all felt genuinely challenged when putting our passions, abilities and lack there of, into words. I can not lie that I have been constantly challenged to personal reflect and put to words my passions, cares, wants and future work for when I get back.  I now am trying to figure out a way to live out these answers that I have been coming up with as life goes on while back in the States. 

I feel like I have been repeating my self a lot in these blogs, but it is the only way to make all of my ideas become a reality. 


Currently we only have two more days left here in South Africa, hard to believe!! These last few days consist of classroom work, traditional African meals, a grill out with some of the greatest people we have met here in South Africa, intense emotion, packing and getting ready for over 24 hours of travel time back home!


I have a bittersweet taste in my mouth as I finish my time here, but more sweet then anything. I can’t say it enough, but I am excited to sit down and have conversations with all of my friends and families about this wonderful place on earth.  


ciao for now

peace

No comments: